Thursday, December 11, 2008

Killing Time

Hey, another day without any new content! Huzzah!

Believe me, this is killing me just as much as it's probably killing you. The real problem is that I seriously underestimated how much work the "From the Mountains of Madness" project would require. In theory it seemed pretty easy- a collection of prop documents and period items themed around H. P. Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness". I'm not the first person to tackle the idea, since Chaosium's "Beyond the Mountains of Madness" and it's associated handouts did it first, but I wanted to go totally over the top with it. And boy, did I.

Part of the problem is that I don't want to do a half-assed job of it. That, combined with my anal retentive streak, means I've been doing hours of research into things I never even thought of when I first conceived the idea. Like what year a particular brand of tinned aspirin became available. Or what kind of label Necco wafers had in 1929. Or the differences between domestic and imported binoculars in the 1920's.

Here are just a few of the items I'm waiting to arrive in the mail:

- a selection of fossils consistent with the ones found in the ATMOM underground chamber. They're not only going to be real, but I'm trying to get multiple specimens from the same strata so they're similar in quality and composition.

- two period equipment cases from the Fibre Products Manufacturing Company of West 26th Street, New York. As with so many other things, I picked these because they're what the Byrd expedition used.

- Dozens of specimen boxes and bags to hold various biological and geological samples. Once they arrive they'll all have to be labeled and aged.

- a selection of core samples consistent with the rock types found in Antarctica.

- a handful of period medicine and sundries tins.

All this is in addition to the stuff I already have in hand. It's damnably frustrating waiting for it to all come together, but I think it will all be worth it in the end.

2 comments:

Steve Pelikan said...

Love your work! I've been working on a Lovecraftian diary to put with my Indiana Jones props (like the "grail diary" in Last Crusade.) Your amazing props give me all kinds of ideas of things to sketch. May have to pick up some of your items to tuck into the pages. Great stuff!

Raven said...

Props, which do you think we, your rabid fans, would really rather have?

(1) Blog posts on an arbitrarily chosen planet's rotational schedule, e.g. 24 hours?

(2) New creations as often and amazing as you can come up with them, with assorted blog posts about other stuff you've seen stuffed in between them, as and when you find the time and energy?

Now imagine you were the fan, and some other genius the blogger; what would you choose? There you go.