Thursday, June 25, 2009

Prop Intestines

Few things are more likely to elicit a strong reaction than a steaming pile of innards .



The genius of these wonderfully gory intestines from "GammaBlog" is how simple they were to create:

"Made these today for use in tomorrow's Greenwich Village Halloween Parade. Ingredients: bubble wrap, paper towels soaked in beet juice, plastic food wrap, scotch tape, and white thread. Yum!"


This is another example of how a creative mind can turn simple junk into an effective prop. My first reaction to reading the list of materials was "Why didn't I think of that?" What makes this approach different from other "recipes" for prop intestines I've seen is the use of plastic food wrap wrapped around a filler material to form the basic shape. I might tweak it a little bit, by using transparent fishing line in place of the thread and replacing the beet juice and paper towels with a layer of colored liquid latex on top of the plastic wrap, but we're still talking...what? $10 worth of materials? For a great looking prop that will last years.

6 comments:

Doc Atomic said...

Just the picture I wanted to wake up to this morning...

They are some mighty fine looking intestines, though.

Propnomicon said...

"They are some mighty fine looking intestines, though."

Heh. There's something you don't hear every day.

I'm not one for the pure gore approach to props, but these used such cheap materials to good effect that I thought it was worth it. I try to feature things that are relatively inexpensive to make because people get so easily intimidated by projects that cost an arm and a leg.

Tom Banwell said...

It took a lot of guts to post that picture....lol

I'm not sure when I'll need to make some like this, but good to know I can.

Propnomicon said...

This isn't quite the visceral reaction I expected. Heh.

bizr007 said...

Would you be able to post the link where you got the instructions on how to make them? I think there awesome.

Anonymous said...

a tape worm made out of hot glue smeared on wax paper running along the innards would be a nice added touch