Saturday, March 16, 2013

"The Dark is Rising" Signs of Power

This is the kind of passion project I love to see. These recreations of the Signs of Power from "The Dark is Rising" series were made as a gift by David Stay. Each of the six is forged from a different element (iron, stone, bronze, etc.). The recreations are made from exactly the same materials, save for the "Fire" sign. The book version is solid gold. The prop is gold leaf over lead.


Here's a shot of the fire sign being cast from molten metal.


5 comments:

Dr. Curiosity said...

I love that series. I agree it's an excellent gift.

Dr. Curiosity said...

I love that series. I agree it's an excellent gift.

The Last Northumbrian said...

These are absolutely wonderful!I remember reading the books when I was very young, about 8 or 9. I probably didn't fully understand them and have pretty much forgotten everything about them, but the tremendously odd feelings I get on the nape of my neck when I see something like this probably means that I remember them in some way. I really must read them again!

becca.tell said...

Do you know of anywhere I could buy something like these? My kid is turning 11 next month...

Unknown said...

Also looking for someplace to purchase these. My best friend and I were OBSESSED with the series as 11yr olds (now 32 and still have the poem memorized lol) and I'd really like to give these to her.